Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I choose DIVTEC?

We promote quality, industry relevant training. We also have a number of services available including career counselling, disability support and a wide range of student support services to assist you. A certificate III level qualification can have a significant impact on future employment and career opportunities and is the entry level qualification needed to get a job in industries like allied health assistance, disability, aged care, child care and hospitality. The trainers and assessors at DIVTEC have the experience and networks needed to provide you with the skills required to succeed in today's job market.

What is VET training?

Vocational education and training (VET) enables students to gain nationally recognised qualifications for all types of employment, develop specific knowledge to help them in the workplace and provides accredited training in job related skills. The VET sector is crucial to the economy and training providers work together to provide nationally consistent training across Australia.

What is RPL / the RPL pathway?

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is an assessment-only pathway that acknowledges your existing skills and knowledge gained through:

  • Formal training conducted by industry or education
  • Work experience
  • Life Experience

Mainly, RPL focuses on outcomes rather than when or where the learning occurred. Students who provide satisfactory evidence that they have achieved the unit of competency will not need to undertake training in that unit. You will need to collect evidence of your current competency and submit documents to DIVTEC so that our Training Team can make an assessment based on the required industry standards. You will be asked to provide a portfolio of evidence which may include:

  • Job description, resume and/or performance reviews from current and previous roles
  • Samples of work, projects or other workplace documents that you work with or have developed
  • Certificates and awards from informal/non-accredited training
  • Third-party reports, references or letters of support from supervisors and/or managers

Am I eligible for government subsidised training in QLD?

If you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or holder of a permanent visa, you may be eligible to access funding under the Certificate 3 Guarantee, Higher Level Skills or User Choice programs. Check your eligibility online by clicking here. If you are not eligible for funding, you may be able to undertake study on a ‘Fee for Service’ basis. This simply means that you (or your employer) would need to cover the full cost of the training. Eligible Students should note that you may only be able to access one government subsidy and there are restrictions on what courses can be subsidised after you complete your study using government funding.

Am I eligible for funding if I’ve completed a qualification overseas, a bachelor degree or have deferred from university?

The DIVTEC Training Team must make an informed judgement about your existing qualifications to determine your eligibility. Please contact us to discuss the details of your situation.

  • If you have completed a bachelor degree or other qualification at a university in Australia, you are not eligible to access the Certificate 3 Guarantee or the Higher Level Skills program.
  • If you hold a certificate I to advanced diploma qualification issued prior to 1995, you remain eligible to access the Certificate 3 Guarantee or the Higher Level Skills program.
  • If you have deferred from study, you are still considered to be enrolled at university. This means you are not eligible under the Certificate 3 Guarantee or the Higher Level Skills program.
  • If you hold an overseas qualification that has been recognised by an Australian professional body or other organisation, you are not eligible to access funding for qualifications at the same or lowerlevel. If you have completed a qualification overseas that does not meet the standards of the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), you may be eligible for funding. For more information, please visit the Overseas Qualifications Recognition website.

What if I’ve completed a qualification whilst I was at school?

These are not counted towards your eligibility for the Certificate 3 Guarantee or Higher Level Skills programs. Also, students who complete a VETiS funded qualification are still eligible to access further Queensland subsidised training (such as Year 12 Fee-Free Training or the Certificate 3 Guarantee) once they finish school.

What is a traineeship?

Traineeships are part of the Australian Apprenticeships Program and combine employment with VET training. They can be full-time, part-time or school-based – where training is undertaken during your high school studies. Apprentices and trainees work towards a nationally recognised qualification (under the supervision of a training provider like DIVTEC) while learning valuable skills on-the-job at work. They are a great way to get a head start in your chosen career!

What is a school-based traineeship or apprenticeship?

School-based apprenticeships and traineeships (SATs) are perfect for high school students who want to get a head start in their career by combining school and VET training with employment. They can have enormous benefits for young people who prefer hands-on learning to traditional school pathways. SATs allow high school students in Years 10, 11 and 12, to work for an employer and develop confidence in the workplace as well as train towards a nationally recognised qualification which contributes to their Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE). Employers who take on SATs can make a real difference by motivating young people to work towards their future goals and giving realistic exposure to their industry or sector.

What is a co-contribution fee?

Students are expected to contribute towards the cost of their training. This fee represents the total cost for you to enrol, undertake training and be awarded the qualification. Fees vary by qualification and can be paid upfront, on a payment plan or by a third party such as your employer or Jobactive provider.

Can I complete more than one qualification through the Certificate 3 Guarantee program?

No - students are entitled to access government subsidised training to complete one certificate III level qualification. For this reason, it is very important to consider your chosen course, compare training options and confirm course costs prior to enrolment.

Can I complete more than one qualification through the Higher Level Skills program?

No – like the Certificate 3 Guarantee, students are only entitled to access one government subsidised training place to complete their qualification.

What is a concession?

The Queensland Government pays a higher subsidy for qualifications undertaken by disadvantaged students so that providers can reduce costs and provide additional learning support as required. The following students are entitled to concessional rates:

  • Health Care or Pensioner Concession Card holders (and their dependents);
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students;
  • students with a disability; or
  • students who are adult prisoners.